My name is Anne and I’m your blogger. As the pilot says, “fasten your seat belts,” we are about to take off!

I was born in the country on a farm in Northeast Georgia. Finished high school at age 17 then moved to Atlanta. I lived right down town near the famous Fox Theatre when traveling around the city was by streetcars and trolley buses. I feel like Atlanta is home to me, but moved about 50 miles north almost 2 years ago.

My first job was in the accounts payable department of Sears Roebuck’s mail order house on Ponce De Leon Avenue. A thrill for me, because I grew up on the Sears catalog, what we called the ’wish book.’ Back then, one could order most anything, including materials to build a house. I spent many hours reading that catalog.
While working there my boss selected me to represent Sears in the annual Miss Atlanta contest. I did not win, but as a result, I began receiving offers by photographers and advertisers to model. I was not pretty, but photographed well. I then also received an offer by High Museum of Art to model for the artists twice a week. The instructor said they liked my facial bone structure to draw and paint. I would sit for 3 hours at a time, 2 or 3 times a week, while still working at Sears. Because of the museum, I started receiving offers for newspaper ads. All of this provided extra income and I loved doing it.

A couple of years later I took a job at Marietta Bell Aircraft where B-29s were built. Being unskilled as most Georgians applying for a job were, they sent me to engineering school to learn how to read aeronautical blueprints. I was assigned as assistant to the instructor before going out on the assembly line to assist line workers interpret the deviations that came out on building an aircraft. I loved that job.

This was all during the war in the forties, when I met a tall handsome pilot, one who eventually flew the B-29s.  He stopped over in Atlanta, on his way home for a leave in Clewiston, Florida. He asked me to marry him the first time I saw him. After his departure, we corresponded, returned to Atlanta, and married.

He left immediately for an assignment in Biloxi, Mississippi and I did not see him again for 8 months.

After the war and his release from the military, we moved to Clewiston for the next 5 years and started a family. He started a business crop dusting via airplanes.

Being a reserve officer, he was recalled back into service in 1950, and remained in service until retirement. There were many reassignments, so we lived in a lot of different places including Texas, Mississippi, Japan, Nevada, Tennessee (twice), and Dayton, Ohio.

He spent a year in Vietnam, a year in Korea, 9 months in Burma, and too many temporary assignments away from home to mention. He flew all kinds of aircraft and wound up being a helicopter test pilot. He was one of those natural born pilots, learning to fly at age 16 in Florida.

During those years, I sometimes remained behind, taking care of the children and his parents. Then I would join him, only until he received orders to go to another assignment, usually following at some point in time.

Because he was so rarely home during the 24 years of marriage, I did many things. I took a number of study courses and built a few home bought houses. A few times, I had a job, like the time in Mississippi when I became manager of a photography studio. Sometimes I also modeled. I played a lot of bridge and various other things, but because of the orders for reassignment, I could not hold a job very long and wound up staying home and doing my thing for the most part.

In the early sixties, he retired from the military at age 40 and we moved back to Atlanta. This began another period of experiences I will write about from time to time, starting with both of us working for a motel managers’ training school. He was a counselor and I became director of the school. Then the school moved facilities to California. And in the late sixties, we divorced.

My first children were almost grown, but I had another 5-year-old when we divorced. Being single at this time, I had to make a living, started several businesses, returned to school for a period, studied a lot, and raised my 5-year-old living in the country. I will be writing about some of my experiences during those years from time to time, along with other subjects including politics, philosophy, parenting and grandparenting, my early childhood and life on a farm, travels and more.

In conclusion, I must say that my life has never been dull. I have had a lot of wonderful times, yet also lived through hurricanes, typhoons, earthquakes, robberies, and car wrecks. There were many ups and downs, and in between, a lot of magnificent, exciting times.

Today, I’m filled with extreme gratitude for my many blessings, especially my children, and the many lessons learned along the way. I’m excited about my new blogging venture and hope others of my generation will join me. We probably have a lot to share, including both agreements and disagreements. Let’s make it thought provoking, entertaining and interesting!

Let Freedom Ring!